Home
About Us Terms and Conditions Contact Us

Puttalam Railway Station Contact Number, Sri Lanka

Name : Puttalam Railway Station
Location : Puttalam
Distance from Fort : 135.11 KM (217.44 miles)
Phone Number : 032-2265271
Web : [email protected]

Puttalam Train Station and Puttlam Line Overview

Overview
OwnerSri Lanka Railways
TerminiRagama Railway Station to Periyanagavillu Railway Station
Stations42
Service
TypeIntercity rail
SystemSri Lanka Railways
Operator(s)Sri Lanka Railways
History
Opened12 May 1926
Technical
Line length133 km (83 mi)
Track gauge5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm)
ElectrificationNo
Operating speed100 kmph

What is Puttlam Line?

The Puttalam line (originally called the North-Western Line) is a 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) broad gauge railway line in the rail network of Sri Lanka. The 133 km (83 mi) railway line begins at Ragama junction and runs through the major towns along the north-west coast of the country, through to Periyanagavillu. It has forty two stations along its length.

Route definition

The line starts from Ragama and runs through the towns of Kandana, Ja-Ela, Seeduwa, Katunayake, Negombo City, Lunuwila, Naththandiya, Madampe, Chilaw, Bangadeniya, Mundel and ends at Puttalam.

The passenger trains by Sri Lanka Railways are operated up to Noor Nagar station beyond the Puttalam station and railway section beyond Noor Nagar station is used by Holcim Sri Lanka Limited for the transportation of raw materials from quarry to the factory at Puttalam.

This line is also used for the transportation of oil by trains to the Colombo International Airport.

History

Construction of the rail line to Puttalam commenced on 3 July 1907, with the laying of a railway line from Ragama to Ja-Ela. The project was initiated by Sir Henry Arthur Blake, Governor of Ceylon. The first passenger operations commenced on 9 November 1908. The Negombo railway station was opened on 1 December 1909, with the line extended to Chilaw in 1916. In November 1920 work commenced on the extension to Puttalam, which was officially opened on 12 May 1926.

In 1943 the track from Bangadeniya to Puttalam was removed, as the rails were required on other strategically important routes due to shortages caused by World War II. It was re-laid in 1946 with a number of new stations added to the line. The line was also extended beyond Puttalam to Periyanagavillu, where the route forked, with one line running to Aruwakkalu and the other to Illuwankulam.

In 2011 a 20 km (12 mi) dual track between Ragama and Ja-Ela was officially opened. In 2017 the government commenced investigating the feasibility of extending the rail line from Puttalam via Norocholai power station (servicing the country's main coal power plant) to Mahawa, connecting the Northern and Puttalam lines.

Article by : Lankarailway Webmaster

Last Update On : 01st Thursday April, 2021

© 2010 - 2021 rootv.info